Once upon a time we didn't think Cash would ever talk. We knew all our work with speech evals and therapy would end with us wishing he'd shut up. I fear that day is upon us.
Honestly, it's a blessing, though. The boy was so frustrated that he couldn't communicate that he acted out a lot and attained a seriously bad rap. He is much more manageable and receptive now. He still screams and has yet to decipher the concept of an "indoor voice", but talking is talking.
Cash's new found speech skills mean...
- he is able to incessantly ask for yogurt. "GOGURT, PEEEEAASE!!"
- he observes our (apparent) poor housekeeping skills. "EWWWW, POOOOP!!" and "UHOHH, DIRRRTY!"
- he points out all busses. "I see a BUSSS!"(x10, even if you acknowledge the effing bus.)
- he requests his favorite song. "MONKEY?MONKEY?MONKEY?" (Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey")
- he demands his favorite show. "CAIIOOOOOOUUUU!!!" (ughhhh. He likes Caillou.)
- he knows how to get out of time-out. "Sowwy. Sowwy. I am sowwy. SOWWWYYY!!"
We have a long way to go, but progress is being loudly made.

No comments:
Post a Comment