Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cashy goes to preschool

I was mad enough that I hissed into the phone, "This makes me so sad. I can't believe work is more important than this." And I hung up like the best telenovela star.

This wasn't any run of the mill hissy fit. This was the day Cash started preschool and got on a bus by.him.self.

The plan was Jeff would park down the street and watch him get on the bus that picked him up from the sitter's driveway. He would snap a few pictures, send them to me, and we would pretend like it was totally normal that our youngest was heading off to school.  Head meet sand.

At 9am--twenty minutes before the bus would pick him up--my palms started sweating. At 9:02am I was completely useless to concentrate. At 9:04am my class started to notice. "Do we have a fire drill today?" I explained that Cash was starting preschool and that satisfied them as they are used to my crazy mom antics.

At 9:15am I called Jeff to see if he was in position. No, he wasn't. Something came up at work. I saw red and for the millionth time I was totally annoyed that some yahoo's kitchen remodel was more important than this moment. But you know how that phone call ends.

It took me ten minutes and a phone call to his sitter, Laura, to recover. Yes, me made it on the bus. No, he wasn't scared. His driver was very nice. Oh, and he already made a friend.

Even though I missed the departure I was resolved not to miss the return. I would stalk his return.

Jeff did redeem himself greatly when I saw him parked along the street upon my arrival. Together we watched as our brave Cashy ambled off the bus to the waiting arms of Laura.

Later that day, when I picked him up, I could hear him from the back of the house yell, "Mommy, I went on a bus!" Apparently he told everyone at least three times about the bus he went on, the backpack he wore, the bus he went on, and the bus he went on.
At this point he had already said "school bus" fifteen times to Laura.
"His mom is crazy."
"It's a wonder he turned out okay."
Like a boss.
As I write this Cash has asked me twice if he will be able to ride the school bus tomorrow. Addicted, I tell you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...