Sunday, October 18, 2009

My new trick

One of my favorite crock pot recipes is for a super yummy roast that can be eaten as is or on hamburger buns. It comes from my mom's friend, Glynis: 1/2 cup of water on the bottom, frozen roast (any kind), then mix together a small can of tomato sauce, a package or Lipton Onion Soup mix, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar and pour over roast. Cook for 8-10 hours. My crock pot cooks super hot and I use Splenda brown sugar, so my crock pot is a mess when all is said and done. It usually takes days of soaking (because I don't line it and forget to Pam it). Well, nothing is nastier than greasy water for days, so I looked up ways to clean a crock pot.

Best way ever: Fill pot with 3/4 water, put in 1 cup of vinegar, set for 4 hours and let cool. I'm not going to lie, I poured in two cups of vinegar and let it cook for eight hours overnight. The original plan probably works just fine because most of the major crustiness was already floating around and the small stuff came up with little effort.

I'm not typically a "green cleaner" but this effective use of vinegar made me wonder the other ways people use vinegar. Suggestions?

2 comments:

Renee said...

Are you kidding me Keiko? Vinegar for EVERYTHING. I've come to associate the smell with a clean home. It's our all purpose cleaner (i don't measure things, but I put about 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water in a spray bottle). It disinfects and deodorizes. Vinegar in a dishwasher cycle is awesome if you need to clean that sucker out. That and/or powdered, sugar-free lemonade mix. Seriously. Vinegar instead of Windex. Vinegar in the wash makes whites whiter and brights brighter and removes odors. About a quarter cup. Vinegar betches.

Jeff Westover (Go Ducks!) said...

Renee is spot-on (or maybe off?)...

Vinegar is the shit!

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/vinegar-uses-460409

Wait until you discover the many uses of Ketchup ... hint: see the same link

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...