Monday, June 20, 2011

Kindergarten is komin'

I realized the other day that B would be going in to Kindergarten in the 2012-2013 school year and after I cried, checked the calendar, flipped through some of his baby pictures, cried, wrote a letter to him in his journal, and then double checked the calendar again, I decided I needed to get my butt in gear on researching schools.

I know, you're saying to yourself: "Keiko, the world is going to end in December 2012. Don't get your pants in a wad now."

Or you might also be saying, "Holy shit, he is going to go to Kindergarten? Didn't he just look like this?"

But you're probably saying something along the lines of, "2012? Like in another year?"

Yes, but long story short we are going to do open enrollment which means turning in paperwork in six months. Plus, Kindergarten registration starts in 7 months.

Obsess much? No, I'm just a teacher. Plus, both my parents are former elementary school principals, so no pressure there, huh?

The intense rounds of discussion with my parents and Jeff have begun. I am looking at schools in the district where I work, which happens to be a different district than where we live. While you might think I am forever stunting my child by having him go out of his neighborhood I will let you know that I went to schools thousands of miles away from my home. Though, that might be fodder for your argument for screwing him up.

Another long story short, since I was in elementary school, my district has developed a variety of options for education and there is no longer huge competition for the coveted "boundary exception".

I'll give them until October to get settled in to this school year, but then I am coming after them with my list of questions, request for tours, and my desire to interview everyone down to the lunch lady.

Guys, I am freaking. Not just because my bug is going to the big K, but also because I feel this massive load of responsibility. I mean, if my dad didn't drag me to the different schools I went to then I wouldn't be friends with half of you nor would I be married to Jeff.

Ohhh, the pressure.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

You are not alone! We have been looking at schools since Connor was 2 1/2. It is a BIG decision, one that you don't want to screw up. You and Jeff will make the right choice for Bradley :) Good luck hunting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...