Saturday, June 11, 2011

LA getaway

The bestie and I were supposed to go to LA to see Adele, but then she got laryngitis. Story of my life.

We couldn't pass up the great airfare and the plush (free) accommodations with Erin's family in Redondo Beach, so we were off for a couple days of exploring.


After getting to town, Erin's gracious grandmother and great aunt had a lunch spread waiting for us. Then we headed to the beach for a bit.





Along with a fancy hairstyle,
and new friends,


I stumbled upon a local tradition. Apparently getting tar one one's feet is a thing in Redondo Beach. Good thing we didn't vacation on the Gulf beaches.

For dinner, we played a game called, "How much fried shit can I eat?"

Then we made our way to the local Target for all the necessities to unadorn my foot of black goo. (I didn't get a picture of this, but just think of your Target on Black Friday around 2pm and the slowest checkout lady ever, and there you go.)

The next day we were off for some Southern California thrifting. We killed the iPhone, overworking it with directions all over Palos Verdes, Torrance, and Redondo Beach.

Speaking of killing, Erin found a bunch of amazing stuff. I found a whopping one thing, and secretly lusted over every other piece of furniture that would not fit in my luggage. 

Oh, the things I could do with these.

Then we stopped for lunch. I would like to take a moment to compliment Southern California for their obsession with hamburgers.

Bacon, avocado, Swiss cheese, and all the fixing. Yes, please!

We wandered around to more thrift stores, and then made our way back to Barbara and Winifred's for the traditional roast dinner.


And some of this.


By the end of the trip I was jonesing in a bad way for these faces.


LA is not my favorite place in the world, so it was nice to finally experience a more laid-back, less pretentious side of the city. The next time I go back, however, I expect Adele to serenade me personally.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...