Monday, November 5, 2012

Election Eve shenanigans

"Tell Mom what we were just talking about," Jeff said.

Immediately my interest was piqued, especially because Jeff eyed me with his, "Wait for this shit" look.

With all of the seriousness he could muster, B looked me straight in the eye and said, "I want Mitt Romney to vote for me."

"You mean you want to vote for Mitt Romney?" I corrected him.

"Yes. I want to vote for Mitt Romney."

"Why?"

"Because Obama is ugly and bad. My friends told me so," he said. I admired his firm resolve in the conversation--he even had a little furrow in his brow.

"Hmm. Any other reasons?" I asked.

"No, but my teacher told us we should talk to our parents about who we should vote for and why." I was immediately thankful for his teacher's intervention; I can only imagine how far Kindergartners would have taken this.

We chatted for a couple more minutes about why it's important to vote and why people vote for certain candidates. Then I explained why I voted for who I voted for. I told him when he was old enough he should vote for who he wants to vote for, but he needs to be open-minded and listen to all of the issues, not just the ones his friends--or even his family--think are important.

I am not going to lie. This conversation was a much bigger deal to me than it was to him, as I am sure he has already forgotten about it. I also had to carefully choose my words so it didn't come out like, "Your friends are assholes and they are in Kindergarten. They don't know what they are talking about."

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

HAHAHAHAHA! That's awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...