Father’s Day is looming.
I always have such a horrible time buying presents for people in our family, especially the boys. We were told that my dad wanted a belt, a gift-card, and a t-shirt. That’s it. Seriously. I know you might be thinking, “Geez, Keiko, at least he told you what he wanted. It doesn’t seem that hard.” However, my dad’s birthday is two days after Father’s Day. What that means is my mom, brother, and I get to fight over those three items for TWO gift giving days. My dad would be mortified if he knew I was blogging about his gifts (a. he is old, b. he is Asian), and he would just tell me he doesn’t need anything–I hate that. I know why people say, “Don’t get me anything,” because it seems frivolous and/or unnecessary, but I WANT to get him something. Even though he forgets my exact birth date and tells anyone who listens what a bitchy teenager I was, he deserves to be honored on Father’s Day and his birthday. He is such a kick-ass dad and has done so much for us, plus he is a fantastic grandpa to B.
I called dibs on the belt while my mom and brother figure out who is getting the other desired items. This means I am left to brainstorm and decide on his birthday gift. I have some ideas, but nothing seems cool enough for my dad. I mean what do I get for the man who taught me about government, how to manage money, be open to all perspectives and arguments, all while scaring the crap out of me?


No comments:
Post a Comment