Friday, January 16, 2009

fatty, fatty, two-by-four


I don't make resolutions because I am superstitious. I think it is just making a list of things that I am most likely going to fail at in the new year. I mean, I always have one or two in the back of my head, but they are like birthday wishes...you don't utter them aloud.
After I posted holiday pics on Myspace and Facebook, two people emailed/messaged me and made subtle comments about my weight. That hurt. A lot. I think about my weight constantly, I don't need to think that other people do, too.

Before I had B I was on Weight Watchers and lost 40 lbs. I gained it all back and then some when I was pregnant (and had a blast doing it). Due to the miracle of nursing I burned through thirty-some pounds, but then it started creeping up after B gave up the boob. I have hovered at about 10-15 lbs above my WW starting weight since.

Supplements and fad diets scare me to death. I have bad hearts on my mom's side and diabetes on my dad's, so I don't like tempting fate with things that will mess with me. I decided I would bite the bullet and go to the doctor, since doctors like talking to me about my weight so much. My doctor did a bunch a blood tests and I came back perfectly healthy...no hormone issues, etc. She told me that I had actually lost weight since the time she saw me before, so she knew I was capable of losing weight.

Like a good doctor she asked me why I wanted to lose weight. I told her Jeff and I decided to wait on trying for another baby this summer and I thought I could use the time to take weight off because getting pregnant at my current poundage is no bueno. She said it was a really good reason since I was lucky with B that I didn't get gestational diabetes, but I not be so lucky next time.

I am not in the position to pay to go back to WW. Plus, I know the program and have a great support group of people who have been there and done that and would love to see me succeed. I know that sounds like there are people who don't, but there are plenty of unconscious saboteurs out there.

The last couple weeks I have been eating WW-ish and working out and I have lost ten pounds. I am very excited, but there are some mixed feelings in there. Those of you who have struggled with your weight know what I am talking about. You get really psyched to make the right choices and then BOOM! you hit a McDonald's and backslide or you get really busy with work which makes exercise difficult. Your results can be gone disappear underneath a layer of fat so quickly. If it happens enough you might think, "Maybe I should just try to accept myself at this weight."

I suppose I am cautiously optimistic and I would really appreciate your support. That doesn't mean ripping food out of my hands or giving me a lecture on the benefits of weight loss. If we go out to eat, let's go somewhere less greasy. When we hang out, rather than going out for ice cream or a movie, we could go hiking. I know my friends have healthy habits and if you can inspire me with yours, then it would keep me on track.

8 comments:

Jillsywillsy said...

I didn't loose one single pound while nursing, so I am glad that at least worked for you.

I feel ya. I have to lose a lot of weight before I try to get pregnant again. Good luck.

Renee said...

Done and done. Count me in as someone you can call up and do non-fatty-bo-batty activities with. Right now I'm actively trying to lose a pants size, so getting up and doing stuff sounds like a plan to me.

jules said...

I know! You should just give me all your food. I'm hungry all the time anyway ;P

OR I miss running and could use a walking buddy since Nick has totally not been going walking with me (he was supposed to be the motivator, fail) which means I haven't been walking by myself because I have grown lazy and distracted. Perhaps having someone waiting would motivate me a bit more.

Anonymous said...

I'm behind you, Keik! I think it's wonderful that you have the ambition and optimism to undertake such an endeavor... losing weight with a husband and a child and a job and a social life is definitely not simple.

I have finals though...I've been macking on Ben and Jerry all weekend. ;)

Love you and support you<3

witticism here said...

Thanks guys!

Katy said...

I'll be your "active, weekly, sit down, goes to the ww meatings" friend. Loosing weight is a bitch, there's no simple way to put that. I hate it, it sucks, but I also want to be a size 10, so it just has to be done. This week we talked about splurge vs binge and how to know when to walk away from foods you can't control. Some one was like, oh there are these great hostess 100 calorie packs of cupcakes, twinkies etc. That would be a no go for me, because I would eat like 4 packs. The idea is just to avoid foods that you can't control completly until you can. So for me, baked goods and hostess-ie stuff is the enemy. Also, if it means anything to you (and seriously you should believe this) I thought you looked great when I saw you.

Shelly said...

Way to go, Keiko. I am doing pretty good on the weight loss front as well. I have started a low GI diet, which is actually good for diabetes.

Keep up the good work!

witticism here said...

Katy, I like the 100 calorie Hostess packs because every so often I want that bit of Twinkie or yummy goodness. The thing that keeps me from eating too many is that they are a bitch to get out of the wrapper. I already feel like a fat kid attacking one of those things, so having more than one is not good for my psyche.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...