Thursday, January 22, 2009

Not to be redundant

I don't usually write about work, but...

Here is a link to my other blog. I posted a great letter written by the Superintendent of the Florence School district regarding the very real threats against education at this moment. If you are a parent or teacher this should be of special interest, though I think education should be a concern to all.

As of next year there will be cuts that the community, parents, and students will finally feel--if you haven't already been paying attention. For so long, administrators and teachers have been feeling the strain, but it is going to abundantly clear with the state of the economy, how the legislature is behaving, and the expectations being put on school districts. Basically, it isn't going to be pretty. Teachers have already accepted that we will not be getting any type of pay raise, our incentives will evaporate, absolutely no resources or materials, classroom sizes will be massive, some of our co-workers will not have contracts, and so on. Arizona ranks #49 in the money spent on each student. No doubt we will be ranked dead last this next school year.

This Sunday, from 1-3pm, I will join many teachers from across the State for a "quiet lunch" at the State Capitol. I hope to see you there!

PS- How exciting, this will be B's SECOND peaceful demonstration. What a great little citizen!

3 comments:

Jillsywillsy said...

That is pretty sickening. There has to be a better solution. I don't think I will be able to attend the demonstration but I wish I could. However, I will make sure my congressman knows how I feel. I know him personally.

Anonymous said...

i've got stuff during that time, but know i'm with you in spirit.

Anonymous said...

Wow... that is definitely sickening. I cannot even believe that.

You're so inspiring.. always pushing for what you believe is right.

And not to mention, B is soooooo badass.

Love you Keik.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...