Friday, May 27, 2011

Coupon Confessional

Guys, I don't know how to say this: I am couponing. 

Let me be clear, the boys' closets are not crowded with cereal, I don't have enough tampons to last me through the apocalypse, and I am not pre-ordering pallets of candy and juice.

A lot of this is coming from a place of necessity. You see, at the end of the school year I get one "big" check that is supposed to last me the summer. Not only has my paycheck decreased, but our summer "bonus" is nil. Momma is nervous.

After watching the ridiculous shows on extreme couponing and seeing these people's asinine stockpiles (my favorite is the guy with a wall o' toothpaste), I decided I could at least start saving on things we needed. 

I started a little bit here and there, and within the last week I have had some big moments. It culminated tonight when I hit up the grocery store (with only one cart, thank you very much). I offered the woman behind me with a couple items in her hands to go in front of me, but she took one look at my notebook and my envelope of coupons, and said, "No, I'm good. I have to see this."

After everything was scanned, the guy did my coups. When he was done he kept scrolling through the register. He looked at me, he looked at my bags, he looked at the screen. "I don't know why, but you got a lot of stuff for free."

He must not watch that show and he must be new to his job.

Anyway, by the time he printed my receipt the lady behind me was doing the awkwardly-close-in-line-thing. As I was leaving she asked him how much I paid for the cart of groceries.

$26. Boom.

Thanks, Fry's.

I'm coming for you next, Walgreens.


1 comment:

Renee said...

Awesome. I would have been like that lady, and totally stuck around. I am ALWAYS amazed by couponers. They are like Olympic athletes. Russian ones, who I don't always root for, especially when they DON'T offer to let the two-itemers cut ahead, unless they are super cute, like you, and that one figure skater everyone loves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...