Sunday, June 9, 2013

The boys room @ the Yellow House

 Like I've said, I wanted to keep things cleaner and more neutral this time around. We've kept the walls all the same colors where we have painted (the living room, the boys' room, and our bedroom). I love the color, Cozy Cottage, because it's such a warm tone for being so light.

Decorating on these walls is rough because of the plaster--I don't dare nail or drill. I fell back on a decorating scheme we used before with the boys, posters and maps, but this time we had to put a twist on it. Here is how a lot of the items looked in the Portobello House.


This is the new reincarnation...


I used black electrical tape because a) it is less stickier than normal tape, b) I like the industrial and unfinished look of it, and c) I needed it too look purposeful--as opposed to using clear tape.

His favorite part are the lights, of course. I hate these bastards. I've tried to use them before, but they are SO fragile. Trust me, if you use them, get as many boxes of replacement lights. These bulbs are more fragile than my psyche reading a fashion magazine.


Some old and some new. Grandpa's globe, the refabbed light, homemade curtains, and the same vintage furniture.


A view of Cash's wall and their quilts were made by my Aunt Jeannie. I asked her to incorporate some of their old t-shirts. Creepy Paddy the dog photo bomb.


Close up of taped posters and a banner I made from some cutouts of a map of Montreal and Toulouse Lautrec (one of my faves) postcards. I went with the "fancy men" images. I will save the half-naked dancers and prostitutes for their teen room.


One of my favorite projects was the letter paintings (you can spy them in the pictures above). I love finding art at Goodwill, either to use or to refab the canvas. I found a couple landscapes that had the same map-ish colors and I decided to redo a Pinterest craft. If you're on Pinterest, you've seen it everywhere. Anyway, here is my version.

Get a painting from a thrift store. (Add a good helping of guilt, as you can only imagine someone being thrilled with their "happy trees", never imagining it would end up at GW for $4.)

Use painters tape to block off what you want to keep.

Now this is important. At 10pm, drag out all your supplies to the backyard and begin painting. I used spray paint because it's so fast. Rile up the neighbor dog and freak out the neighbor, who thinks you are a hoodlum tagging his property. When the paint is sufficiently dry (or still wet in my case), pull up the paint, and admire your handiwork.

They turned out pretty good.

Also in the room, is this chest from my great-great Uncle Dick. It needs to be refinished, but it has a perfect spot at the end of Cash's bed.
Their initials stools look great in here, too.
A gem I found at GW the other day is this painting. I don't have space to put it in their room, but I am going to find a spot for it. 

It's an oil painting of two little boys in a bed. It reminds me of bedtime here, since Cash is always trying to stowaway wherever B is and Bradley only half protests. Isn't it amazing?

I still have some other items to get to finish their room, but I no longer feel panicked about not having ideas or motivation to finish.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...