
I started getting wind of the Twilight series a year or so ago from students wanting to share their latest find with their favorite English teacher. I admit I blew them off since YA isn't my cup of tea. Then my co-workers started talking and then friends started talking. I put it on "the list" of books I needed to read, but the line is long and I figured I would get to it in order.
After four straight co-worker demands, countless slack jawed stares from disappointed students, a nod from Perez Hilton, and a partridge in a pear tree I went to the school library last Tuesday and checked out Twilight. I wasn't eager to start reading since I was prepping for classes, so the poor book bounced around in my school bag for the week. Then my friend Katy blogged about starting to read the book and I decided to make the plunge--if she was going to force herself to do it, then I would too.
Last night I ignored the stack of essays shrieking my name and picked up the damn book. I went to bed 130+ pages in to it, which isn't saying much since I read fast, but says enough since it was a school night. So far, I have read 230 more...yes, while I was at school. Let me explain: I am a horrible teacher who rearranged the lesson for a couple classes to read a book. Good thing I am an English teacher, huh? Actually, I was aiming to grade the essays that I ignored last night, but... No excuses.
I checked out the second book since I know I will finish the first tonight. I don't know what will happen if I finish that one this weekend. Yes, I do, I will go buy the third. I will buy all of them eventually, since books I love are like my children and deserve a place in my home.
If I can do it, you can do it. The good news is the series is finished, so you can read all the books in a row. The other good news is that they are making movies of the series, the first one coming in December. (I will be organizing a movie night if you want to go...so far, part of one.)
It isn't great writing, but the characters are truly interesting. This is seriously the best character development I have read since The Time Traveller's Wife (another must read). I almost want to stop reading now because I am afraid for what will happen. I have had my heart broken by the HP series, I don't know if I can handle any more carnage. But, then again, they are vampires.
8 comments:
You've succumbed!!! Ah! This makes ME the LAST girl out there who is still standing her ground. And now you're organizing a GNO to see the movie? Crap. I'm gonna have to read it. FINE! I will be kicking and screaming the whole way to the library (the library because I refuse to buy these books).
But first, I'm going to checkout the Time Travelers' Wife.
Question. Have you read Brideshead Revisited? I want to see the movie, but I like reading the book first.
Erin, you're not COOL unless you pee your pants.
Er... read Twilight.
Same diff.
Both leave you feeling totally full of shame, but also kind of warm inside.
I'll go! I started reading those at the airport, dropping off Heilee. Nothing like sitting at the airport for an hour waiting for her plane to actually leave the runway.
I still have not read any of these books and I hear everyone raving about them. I guess I'll have to succumb as well...I'm only re-reading my stash right now anyways.
about movie night. i'm going with some friends so we can surely make it a huge movie night. as long as we plan ahead and aren't pushed out by all the tweens (hate that word) vying for their seat!!
YOu are so right! It takes a lot for me to go to the movie theater too, and I've found that the mornings are the BEST! Maybe like a morning show and then lunch??? When does the movie come out anyway?
That sounds perfect! The movie comes out on Friday, the 21st. We could do first showing on Saturday and then lunch. Perfect!
That sounds perfect! The movie comes out on Friday, the 21st. We could do first showing on Saturday and then lunch. Perfect!
Post a Comment