Saturday, March 7, 2009

Big Boy Room

It all started with the bedding. Actually it started with someone who needs to move to a bigger bed. Proof:

He doesn't like to sleep the other way. He is very particular.

We found the duvet cover at Target on sale and loved the simple pattern and colors. We swore we would not paint the walls, but then I felt the green REALLY need to be on THAT wall. The head and foot board were not kid appropriate (curly iron thing, not nekid chicks on a beach or anything), so I custom ordered a simple black headboard and a super-duper functional foot board/getintobedhelper/and (my favorite) storage with my favorite woodworker. I made all the pillows, which are pretty much everywhere: bed, floor, chair. Then we painted his boring sliding closet doors with blackboard paint so if he feels the need to draw on the wall, he has the opportunity. Speaking of the closet, my favorite woodworker also designed and created built-ins with more storage (ahhh). I found the chair on Craigslist and thought about recovering it but found the burnt orange velour was far too endearing. We exchanged the bookshelf in the loft with the one that was in the room before, mainly because Ikea provides (ahhh) tailor-made storage.

Anyway, it is missing books on the shelves, toys in storage bins, clothes in the closet, the rug I order ages ago, a small child in the bed, and the typical disarray.

I like it, except for the nagging feeling I am setting my kid up to be some sort of Alex P. Keaton. If you don't get that 80's reference, you probably shouldn't be reading this.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i looooove it. especially the elephants...though that could def be the Alex P. Keaton fan in me. :)

so is he in the big bed now? i think we're trapping, i mean keeping connor in the crib until 3rd grade.

witticism here said...

I really would like to keep B in the crib as long as I can, but he is starting to put his leg and it will only be a matter of time before he is free. I wanted to room done early enough so we could be flexible with the transition. I am going to try to put him in there over Spring Break and if he isn't ready it isn't like we are trying to kick him out.

brett and carly said...

I love it! Seriously, it's darling. Way to go! :)

Valerie said...

Wonderful colors! Such a fresh change from the ubiquitous boys' bright blue and red. Love it!

And I would have thought YOU were too young to know Alex P. Keaton...

meghan said...

I absolutely love it!!! So fricken cute. It makes me want to have a rugrat.... hahah. Right.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...