I think I have mentioned this, but my ten-year reunion is coming up in August. Nowadays, reunions seem more of a formality since email, Facebook, Myspace, and blogs make it so easy to stay in touch. I remember right before I graduated a teacher told me that I would only stay in touch with two or three people until my reunion. Thankfully, I am still in touch with dozens of people from high school. I didn’t realize how apprehensive I was about my reunion until today. I was at the mall’s play area with B and I spied a girl (um, excuse me, woman) I went to high school with in the same play area. She was always a pleasant person, but we didn’t run in the same social circles. As Romy, would say, she was in the A group. All of the sudden it was as if I was sucked back to high school, I wanted to say hi, but I hesitated. Would she remember me? Would she even say hi back? Does the top make me look fatter/pregnant/etc? Pretty ridiculous, huh? I mean, we are tax-paying adults with children for crying out loud. As I was leaving I sucked up my insecurities and headed over to say hello. We chatted for a second and she was just as pleasant as I remembered her to be. Why do I feel oddly proud of myself?
Anyway, that incident got me to thinking about other parts of my looming reunion.
Concern #1: Mean People. Despite the fact “A group girl” was lovely then and now, there are other people who I happily bid adieu to a graduation because of the way they treated others, including me. It certainly isn’t fair to continue to hold a grudge—I wouldn’t necessarily want someone judging me for my high school behavior. But am I a big enough person to swallow the past and say hello?
Concern #2: Remembering people. I had a huge class (nearly 1000). What if someone comes up to me and has all these memories and I don’t even remember their name or face? Trust me, this isn’t a hypothetical situation, this has happened to me on Facebook and Myspace. Holy hell, I was so embarrassed and felt like a horrible person.
Concern #3: TMI. I am the first person to admit that I am a blog stalker. How do I stay interested when they are telling me stuff I already know? I’ve read so many people’s blogs from high school and know so much about their lives. (Shout out to my Google Reader that makes this pastime easier.) I am thinking I should make more comments on people’s blogs since I know the quiet joy of logging on and seeing the comments people make on my blog—I suppose that might make the whole saying hello bit at reunion easier.
These concerns presented, I would like to tell anyone who I went to high school with (who openly reads this blog or just stalks it) that I am really interested in who you are nowadays no matter what your jobs is, how many kids you have, what church you go to, or who your friends were/are. After all, ten years after high school makes us adults, not teenagers.
7 comments:
Hey Keiko, I'm a total blog stalker. Thanks for the invitation to out myself. I totally have the same thoughts about the reunion. I don't think I was nearly remarkable enough to remember, but I have this amazing memory for names and faces. I'm totally afraid people won't remember me. Plus the whole blog stalking thing...I can just imagine someone saying "who are you and how the heck do you know so much about me?" I just love to read about what other people are doing. Anyway, love your blog and your little boy is way cute!
Thanks Luann!
You're interested in me? That made my day! I totally know what you're talking about...I get nervous every time I think about the reunion and I think it's strictly for the fact that I wonder if anyone remember me? Don't think I had a ton of friends or anything like that... And if T.J. Smith says one thing about my height, I'm gonna sock him!
Hello " A group girl". How's your life going in Mesa/QC with your 2 boys and one girl? They're 4, 5 and 2 right?
OH!
You don't remember me? Oh, right. I mean, what was your name again?
Don't get the wrong impression, I totally don't blog stalk you or anything. I'm not a creep.
haha! I think if people are still holding onto their popularity status from their high school days, their life probably isn't that interesting in the present.
I think the reunion is going to be so much fun, especially since a lot of us went to school together since Madison Elem. Hi Luann! :)
Agreed with Erin. if anyone still thinks they are more popular or awesome then me at this point, they are up for some disappointment. I've clearly surpassed everyone in awesomeness since high school.
Wait, that's not what Erin said at all.
Whatever, the point is, nobody should be holding on to status at this point. Although some probably still will. Which will only serve to make me laugh.
Don't worry too much Keiko. I bet everyone will be cool.
hehehe. I loved this. Was on the fence on this whole reunion thing but now I'm reconsidering... I mean since high school I have been doing some really big things I want to brag about... like inventing post it notes.
xoxo
Post a Comment