Monday, September 21, 2009

My friends

I read "6 friends every mom needs (and how to keep 'em)" on CNN this morning. Of course it got me thinking about the friends that fit into each category. I have some pretty incredible friends and I think it is time I give them props.

#1: The mom in the same boat- Blair M.
One of my oldest friends was having difficulty conceiving. I knew when we found out we were pregnant with B she would be a tough person to tell because she had been trying for so long. Plus, if anyone deserved to be a mother it was certainly Blair. After we got through the hellos I told her that I was calling to tell her I was pregnant, she answered matter-of-factly, "That's funny, so am I." Our boys are only two weeks apart and it is so awesome to have someone to share my thoughts, fears, joys, etc. with.

#2: The no-kids pal- Erin H.
While I was reading the description of this friend, I couldn't help but think of Erin. She definitely makes me feel like I am cool again. With Erin I get to do things like go to Dbacks game, eat at Pita Jungle, read books that don't have pictures in them, and focus on the part of my life that is most neglected--basically everything that is not being a mom or wife.

#3: The been-there, done-that mom- Michele B.
Michele used to be a friend of a friend, then she became my sitter, and now she is my friend. She is a wonderful mom to her five kids and B adores her to pieces. In fact, when he calls her Mama in front of me it doesn't bother me the way people warned me it would. It makes sense. Not only is she like a mom to B, but she is a mom to me. I can ask her any question and she has been down that road at least once. She is not at all judgmental or competitive, which is a rare mommy trait.

#4: The I'll-do-anything-for-you buddy- Erin R.
What friend will listen to you shit-talk or pontificate on the same subject over and over again? What friend will help you paint your home and classroom? When I think of the person most likely to bring me lunch when I am stranded at home with a cranky toddler and itty-bitty newborn, it is definitely Erin. In fact, when I had a particularly heinous day, Jeff called Erin to get her to set up a coffee date with me. She is one of those friends that would instantly lift my day. I hope she knows I would do anything for her.

#5: The slightly glam girlfriend- I am blaming my raging head cold for the fact that I can't think of a close friend of mine who is a glam mom. I mean, not that I hang out with a bunch of schmucks, but I am at a loss.

#6: The brutally honest pal- Shanna D. and Renee V.
We need these friends more than we are willing to admit. Shanna has always been my go-to person to either encourage me or reign me in if I am being too Piscean. I love her for many things, but her ability to cut through the BS for my well-being is wonderful. Renee is great at this from a mom aspect. She is honest about not only what has worked for her, but what hasn't. I admire the way she is so honest about being a mom, especially on her blog, because I don't think blogging moms are particularly honest about their lives.

The thing that sucked about this is that I am leaving so many friends out. I am lucky to have a great group of ladies in my life. I love and appreciate you so much!

4 comments:

Luann said...

I don't know if blogging moms are deliberately dishonest. It's more a sin of omission. They just choose not to write about the not so great stuff. Which is technically under the umbrella of dishonesty, but who's being technical?

Ern said...

Thanks for the shoutout! We did all of those things in one day! Love you, and yes, you are very important to me too.

Anonymous said...

Me! Me! I'll be your glam friend!

(I wish we could insert pictures into comments. I am right now wearing an 8-year-old fleece pullover, my hair hasn't been washed in *several* days, and I seem to be missing my pants.)

Damn, the word verication is "nessitis," which is way too close to "mastitis," which I happen to have AGAIN.

Go glam or go home (and put some pants on).

Renee said...

I can endorse mouthy as your glam friend. She takes nude-silhouetted pregnancy pictures.

Thanks for letting me be your friend at all Keiko. I consider it an honor. And I'm not just saying that to write words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...