The night before last I was getting some crampy spasms in the pit of my belly. It wasn't anything intense, but then again a twinge of anything when you are concentrating on growing a baby is panic inducing. So then there is the panic and you flip out because panic isn't good for the baby. Of course this all happens at 7pm when no doctor's office is open and I know if I were to call after hours they would tell me to go to the ER and honestly it didn't feel like anything bad but then again... So my mind continued to race with run-on sentences and incomplete thoughts for the rest of the night, which meant no sleep, which meant I would be stressed and tired the next morning, and that is not good for me, Dos, or my students.
My doctor's office opens a half-hour before they take phone calls, so I decided to just show up and ask them to check on the heartbeat. If I could hear that I would know everything was ok. You know, forget that it might be the placenta trying to escape or my uterus already has paper thin walls... if there was a heartbeat everything would be fine. When I got there and told the receptionist why I'd like to see someone she did a good job not reacting to what she thought was either my paranoid pregnant woman delusions of doom or a potentially bad situation.
When I was called back I met with one of the new PAs, who was quite possibly the nicest person I have ever met. I humored her while she showed me all the pictures of a growing uterus and the stress and strain it is under; she humored me and let me listen to Dos's heartbeat for what seemed like 10 minutes. She commiserated with me that my second trimester ultrasound (AKA Is it a boy or girl?) is so late and agreed that if I thought it was another boy then it was definitely a boy. She gave me a big hug when I left and told me she would be waiting to hear about if Dos is in fact a Dos or Dosette.
The second I left the office I broke out in sobs of relief. I was so thankful that everything was ok, that Heidi the PA was so wonderful, and that I had decided to go in rather than brushing it off. Sometimes I fall in to that trap that since I have been pregnant before I've "been there done that". That certainly isn't fair to Dos or me. As I am feeling him move around more and more the fact that there really is someone in there is making it more real.
A week from Labor Day is my ultrasound appointment. We had discussed not finding out the gender, but Jeff was adamant he wanted to know. Now I cannot wait to find out the sex. The again, I am trying not to let the excitement get too out of hand...apparently my uterus is sensitive and cannot take it.
6 comments:
So was that a way of the PA telling you that you're having a boy? Either way, i'm glad everything is ok
I'm proud of you for going in and giving yourself peace of mind. I think the second pregnancy might be "scarier" than the first, in that you've read the whole book on what kind of craziness can happen, and you've heard about a billion more horror stories, talking to so many more moms than before. It never hurts to go get things checked out when you feel like you need to.
Totally empathize with you on this one. Definitely a good idea to go and listen to the heartbeat rather than stress about it, which is def not good for Dos.
I'm glad you are finding out boy v girl. I want to know so I can buy it stuff :)
Oh, and Evan outgrew his Snuzzler already. Want to use it?
Katy, since I haven't had my ultrasound no one knows what I am having yet. She did tell me in her short time as a PA the heartbeat hovering in the 150s is a sign of a boy.
Julie, I'll take the Snuzzler. Jeff also needs to get the bassinet.
I'm so glad everything is good. Can't wait to hear about the ultrasound next week, whether you find out the gender or not. Whether the baby is Dos or Dosette, it will be a beautiful babe!
Girl, I have BEEN there. I'm glad the people at your doctor's office validate you going in. Mine did, too, and I was in more than once during my last pregnancy. You're doing your best to take care of Dos, and Dos is so lucky!
Post a Comment