Saturday, October 31, 2009

Disney's life lessons

As B and I celebrated his inability to conform and wear a costume at Renee's Halloween Breakfast Potluck, I learned an important lesson about Disney. I think it is slowly turning my son in to a racist.

In preparing my son's GI tract for ridiculous amounts of candy, I allowed him to indulge in the donuts, cookies, and juice that made up part of the yummy spread. Of course this resulted in the inevitable blow out, so we had to head to the car for a new butt. As we looked both ways to cross the street, B stopped and pointed at the construction workers roofing a new home in the development.


"What the man doing, mama?" he asked.
"The man is building a house," I answered.
"No, mama. what is Manny doing?"

Oh my. I knew exactly what he meant. He saw the Latino/Mexican/Chicano/Hispanic (take your pic) construction worker and assumed he was Manny from Disney's Handy Manny. Those without small children or the desire to numb your brain with children's tv, Manny is a Latino/Mexican/Chicano/Hispanic character who, with his tool box of talking tools (that have fantastically stereotypical accents), do a variety of repairs.


The rest of the time, he would stop and ask, "Where Manny?" And as we left he called, "Bye Manny."

When we returned home, I searched for it in his baby book, but there is no entry for "Baby's First Racist Fumble".

6 comments:

Renee said...

As a half Latino/Mexican/Chicano/Hispanic, I'll say that it's not racist. Some of us are just really good at building and fixing. The rest are really good at following maps.

Renee said...

(Dora reference... wasn't sure how vague I was being. Didn't want you thinking I was making a border-crossing reference)

witticism here said...

That made my morning, Renee.

Katy said...

You should check out the new disney series called Carnicita the cleaner with her series of talking mops and dusters. (scott forced me to write this)

Anonymous said...

i truly feel your pain on this...we were in borders several months back when connor started screaming "manny, manny, manny" and pointing at a hispanic guy in a red hat. i died a little.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm not even Latina and that totally offended me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...