I come from a place that is known for its conservatism, traditional family values, and where many of the girls I went to school with aspired to be moms (period). I am not trying to start a war, but I anticipate what I am about to say is reeeaaalllly going to stick in some people's craw.
As Mother's Day is right around the corner, my Google Reader keeps throwing one blog after another of women waxing poetic on motherhood. I don't mean that to sound snarky, because I really love reading about other women's experiences. I especially appreciate the women who don't make me feel like the only ranting, raving lunatic of a mother. However, I have noticed a really sad theme I keep reading over and over again in the last week. In these blogs the women openly praise themselves for stifling who they are to be the mother they think their child deserves.
Now I have wrestled with all the possible things they could mean by this, trying not to be the cynic that I am often accused of being. However, one in particular openly stated that she is happy she didn't follow her dreams and instead became a mom. Really, I hope that just means that she is glad that she became a mom when she did or her children would have never been who they are today, but somehow that circle piece doesn't fit in the square hole at the end of the post.
I am sure some people are reading this now, asking themselves, "What is wrong with what these women are saying?" I guess I am just confident enough in who I am to say that the real me is who my kids deserve as his mom. I guess I don't think it is healthy to deny myself an indulgence like a vacation or other experiences just because my kids can't come along. I guess I don't think that my entire life--decisions, actions, choices, etc.--should be dedicated to my children. After all, where do I come in? Where does Jeff come in?
I adore my children deeply, thank you very much, but my existence didn't end when Bradley took his first breath and it didn't skip a beat when the pregnancy test was positive for Cash. Believe it or not there are decisions I make that don't take my children into consideration. Trust me, there are plans I have for my life that don't factor in my boys.
Being a mother is a job. It is the hardest one I have ever had and it is the one of which I am most proud. Being a mother is not a cross to bear and I feel sorry for any mother who views it like that or expects to be exalted for it.
I know many children--I include myself in this--never really view their parents as real human beings. I didn't until I was much older. When people would tell stories from my parents' youths I would scoff at the wildness and freedom of it all. When I heard them talk about trips they dreamed of taking I would roll my eyes and demand they take me to the mall. Their job was to be mom or dad, not people. Eventually though, I learned. I want to make sure my boys learn this, too. I can't imagine how badly I would criple my children if they only thought my sole purpose was to wait on them.
Perhaps I read to much in to what these other mother's were saying and I am being far too critical. Like I said, being a parent is one of the most difficult jobs and, yes, we should be here to support and hold each other up. On the other hand, I think it is important that anyone's personal dreams and aspirations being acknowledged, respected and supported.
On a lighter note, for a truly uplifting and awesome blog post about being a mom, visit Rachel's blog. It is phenomenal.
7 comments:
Why weren't we better friends in high school again?
Oh, wait. Because I was a nincompoop in high school, and you probably were too. But I didn't notice, because all I could see was the inside of my own ass, where my head was firmly lodged.
I love your post, and we all know I'm a shameless attention whore but I am flattered to the gills by your link.
Hey, I seem to remember being all about me in high school too! (Just kidding, Rachel...I don't remember you being that way at all!)
Keiko! You took the words out of my mouth (kind of...it's actually full of taco salad at the moment). Thank you for being awesome.
I think you're amazing Keiko... and I know that word is over used, but seriously you're amazing. Your boys are lucky. You really think about motherhood and what it means and what a responsibility it is. I really admire that.
Thanks Keiko. You know that I think you are freaking awesome, right?
Having been raised in the same culture (and probably even more so) and being still engulfed in it, your words are a breath of fresh air. I usually skip all blog posts, turn off facebook and seriously consider staying in my room all day on mother's day (hence, missing church).
Thanks guys. I am glad you understand where I am coming from. This certainly isn't a bash on Mormons, SAHMs, or any of my friends (because they are way more level-headed), so I'm happy it wasn't perceived that way.
Were you reading my mind on Saturday and got to the computer first or what? I was thinking the EXACT same things this weekend while reading blogs in between studying for my exam. I think I will expound on how I feel about it by adding a quick post :)
I'm the opposite of those moms who feel they give up so much to be a mom--I feel like having kids has allowed me to be myself way more than I was when I was working. I can't help it; I absolutely love to bake cookies, and frankly my job got in the way of baking cookies. I always had a hard time going to work on Mondays and I would seriously consider quitting after returning from any holiday break because all I really wanted was to be around my friends and family, and again my job got in the way of that.
I know this about myself, yet I still feel guilty about not working (like every SAHM I know).
Anyway, I love your thoughts on Mother's Day and I agree it's sad some people feel stifled because of their kids. I hope I'm not the only one who feels freer because of them.
Post a Comment