Monday, September 6, 2010

Catching up: TMI alert

Nursing. Breast feeding. Milking the cow.

Everyone has some type of reaction to nursing. It seems like every other month there is something in the paper about a woman who is kicked out of an establishment for breast feeding her baby. Then the next day there is an article about a group of women who do a nurse-in or something.

I am not going to get sanctimonious or anything. I nursed B and am nursing Cash. While I would rather nurse in the privacy of a vehicle or dressing room, I am not going to go to a bathroom or go uncovered if required to nurse in the public. I know plenty of women who see nursing as torturing their bodies, others who are devastated that they couldn't do it, and some who nursed for too long.  Everyone is a snowflake.

I had a hard time with Bradley because we were separated for a few days at the beginning. While I nursed until he was about 7 months, it wasn't consistent, I supplemented a lot, and I had a hard time keeping a supply. Cashman is so much easier. I am supplementing less and supply kicks butt.

Proof.
Is that weird? I am so proud of that. Each bag is a week's worth for the sitter. Okay, fine, report me to STFU Parents or whatever.

Alas, it is time. Cash loves the solids (banana/strawberry, butternut squash, spinach/potato, pearspearspears)--that Jeff and I make nonetheless. He is more rambunctious during our feedings and it has to be absolutely silent and still in the room or he is too distracted. I'd rather go with the flow and wean him. Not all at the same time. I will definitely take my time, but it is the beginning of the end.

I'm not going to lie, it will be great to have me back. I won't have to remember my not so inconspicuous pump, my hormones will start to level off, and maybe my body won't hold on to every morsel of a calorie.

Then again, can I tell you how much I love looking at his chunky thighs and cheeks and knowing that is all me?

4 comments:

Renee said...

I never had a supply in the freezer like that, because pumps didn't work for me. TMI: I was too small for them. Yeah...

In fact, I went the full year, with both my kids, never having proof that anything was actually "happening" ... except that both of my kids were chunksters.

Breasts are the craziest.

Cassandra said...

I LOVE nursing and can't wait to do it again pretty soon...but dang girl! I still don't think I ever had a supply like that! Maybe 'cause silly Sam wouldn't take a bottle...

Anonymous said...

I totally get you--about the "all me" part. Like, that is what milk can DO to you, bi***!

Weaning? Not going so well here. The less I nurse during the day, the more Rocco wakes up in the middle of the night and needs to be nursed. We're going crazy!

Katy said...

I have strong feelings about breast feeding and I'm not even a MOTHER! lol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...