Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Confessions of a trailer park wannabe

Some people want a cabin.  Other people want condos.  I want a trailer.

I am not talking about a manufactured home.  I want a trailer.  I want a home that could be hitched and moved.

No, not a camper.  No, not a fifth-wheel.

Something like this.
I am not looking to sell my home and discover the glories of trailer park living, I just want one as an escape.  Much like people escape with cabins, campers, or condos.

Ok, so I am going to be TOTALLY honest.  I don't want THAT one, but something along those lines.

And I don't want my trailer to be conveniently located across the street from a beach, I want it to be in a bonafide trailer park.

What is wrong with me?  I don't know.  My mom is from Kansas, you know... so maybe that is it.  You know...tornadoes and trailer parks go hand-in-hand.

I want my trailer to be near or in one of those small towns that has to-die-for diners that cooks everything in bacon grease, a new-to-you shop that sells harvest gold appliances like they are fresh off the assembly line, and I would kill for a big 4th of July rodeo.

This past weekend we took the boys up to Prescott for the day to for a bit and I just drooled over godforsaken places like Black Canyon City and Mayer.  They are definitely those places that young people spend every waking hour plotting how to escape, and here is silly me looking for a way in.

Jeff does what you are doing right now.  Shaking your head, wondering what the hell I could possibly be thinking.  He is nervous, though.  He knows I am serious.  He knows that I am itching to find some old lady wanting to will her cozy little trailer to some sweetie pie who will honor and love it the way she has.  I don't even want to rip out the shag carpeting (but I will take down the floral wallpaper border).

So I've really put myself out there with this one.  Please don't judge or mock.  But if you know of any sweet old ladies in teensy tiny, barely there town, just pass along my name and number, please.

4 comments:

valerie@amug.org said...

We don't get to judge or mock? Where's the fun in that?

Renee said...

I love the sound of walking in a trailer. Love it. That hollow thump thump thump reminds me of my grandma. And I love the simplicity of that kind of life.

But, if I may armchair psychoanalyze you, I think this may have everything to do with all the home projects you are undertaking. A trailer is an escape from home improvement spirals. You're not in one now, but you have so many ideas, that it's nearly inevitable.

Rest your brain for a week on all the To Dos, and in no time, you'll be loving that you can walk from one end of the room to another in more than three steps.

Renee said...

And that armchair psychology is brought to you today by Projection. Because I am totally projecting right now.

Jeff Westover (Go Ducks!) said...

could it be that what you actually want is a simpler life? one that isn't stuffed to the gills with all the bullshit that comes with modern living in a dysfunctional and delusional society?

(if you do decide to make the move let me know. Ive got an old car I need to abandon in in front of someone's trailer -- damned farm retirement caught me off guard)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...