Sunday, March 6, 2011

Going dark

I turned my phone off the other night. It was amazing. Have you ever done that?

You know how they talk about radiation that comes from phones? It must be real because once I turned my phone off I stopped caring about that flashing red light, keeping an ear out for my text tone, or hoping my phone wouldn't ring when I went to the necessary room. That radiation must promote that anxiety.

Then, when I was on Facebook, I clicked on one of those links that isn't a link that is actually some hackervirusbullshitphishingtrolling thing. I swear it wasn't one of those porn ones, it was something about a guy taking a picture of himself everyday for a year. Anyway, links started popping up. I just deactivated the bastard.

For 12 hours I was blissfully disconnected. It reminded me of this article from The Onion. (I promise there is no hackervirusbullshitphishingtrolling thing on the other end of the link, just a funny article.

Anyway, I am going to try it more often. I am much too available. I get nervous if I don't respond to text messages within five minutes, I get annoyed when the voice mail icon is on my screen, and I am notorious for responding to emails or Facebook messages within minutes--all because my phone makes it too damned convenient for me to know EVERYTHING going on.

And, yes, I understand the grand irony that I needed to blog about this anti-tech phase I am going through.

1 comment:

Renee said...

People HATE that I don't return calls or messages within a timely manner, but I kid you not, I feel like I am free as a bird knowing people don't expect it right away.

Sucks about the virus, but leave it to you to make a virus funny as hell.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...