Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A beautiful day in the neighborhood


Growing up I loved me some Sesame Street and Wallace & Ladmo, but above those I adored Mr. Rogers. My mom said it was the only half hour I was totally quiet. Imagine that! I read this article today, and wanted to share it. I am cutting and pasting which is probably a blogging no-no, but I think it is important to share. The entire article elaborates on each point.

15 reasons Mr. Rogers was best neighbor ever
1. Even Koko the Gorilla loved him.
2. He made thieves think twice. (definitely read the article for this one)
3. He watched his figure to the pound.
4. He saved both public television and the VCR.
5. He might have been the most tolerant American ever.
6. He was genuinely curious about others.
7. He was color-blind.
9. He got into TV because he hated TV.
10. He was an Ivy League dropout.
11. He composed all the songs on the show, and over 200 tunes.
12. He was a perfectionist, and disliked ad libbing.
13. Michael Keaton got his start on the show as an assistant.
14. Several characters on the show are named for his family.
15. The sweaters. Every one of the cardigans he wore on the show had been hand-knit by his mother.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Oh Keiko, you KNOW I have to comment on this one, right?

Mister Fred Rogers is now, and always has been, and always will be, my personal hero.

I have a very special letter from him, that I WOULD want to be buried with, but I think would serve better as a family heirloom. I joke you not. I think maybe you also may have seen that the one framed picture hanging on our living room wall is of him. Yes, I'm a little bit of a freak.

I recommend you read Dear Mister Rogers: Does It Ever Rain In Your Neighborhood? It is, by far, one of my favorite books. His book on Parenting is also super special, and we have used his other books, like the potty training one, and the one about the dentist, to help Lennon get through some of the bigger challenges of childhood. They've all been super helpful.

I'm so grateful to him for being the man he was.

Oh man, I think I better just go write a blog of my own about him, instead of taking up all your comment space. Also, I might be crying right now. Post-Baby Hormones? Yikes.

In short, I love you for posting this.

Shelly said...

He showed me how they make peanut butter and crayons, for that, I am personally indebted to him. Plus, his puppets are some of the few that don't creep the hell out of me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...