Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I am an American teacher of English

In the past six years I have taken four State mandated courses on top of my graduate courses. These mandated courses are for teachers to improve their instruction for English language learners. I am not going to lie, it was not done to the best of my ability because very rarely are these courses taught well. Why waste my energy when the instructor is in the process of extracting his/her head out of his/her ass?

Politics aside, I believe these classes could be beneficial to teachers and their students. However, the State (cough Tom Horne cough) has us jumping up and down because they are changing/modifying/correcting/altering what is required for teachers every six months. Case in point: I am taking a class this summer because it was decided last year that my previous THREE were not sufficient. I could have told them they weren't sufficient back then, but they were too busy cashing my tuition check.

This summer's Internet (gag) class, like the others, is more than a little useless. Though my instructor is not as incompetent as those past, she is highly patronizing and hypocritical. My favorite combination. Today I opened my email and read her analysis of my last assignment. Here it is:

Dear Keiko,
I find your style and your approach Intelligent and easy to follow. I especially, liked your comments on structuring group work and on mnemonics. Your paper could, however have used more careful editing—especially since you are a teacher of English. (You are NOT an Enlish teacher. An English teacher is a “British” teacher of any subject. You are an American teacher of English.) You also used a dangling modifier in your first sentence. Please note my editing of your first paragraph below.


And she is judging me? I know that being an English teacher...excuse me, a teacher of English (WTF?) makes me a target for editing, but maybe she should take a look at what she is sending out.

Now that I have that out of my system, I will finish my homework.

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Wow......talk about crazy lady on a power trip with a red pen.

Also, Emily (Adorn Jewelry) said that she is receiving your emails, but she just doesn't know how you intend to pay. She wants you to know that she is not ignoring you!!!

EMILY said...

P.S. the earrings are posted just above the bracelet on my site if you want to see them!
thanks:)

Renee said...

Umm.....

I'm no American Teacher of English, but that woman does not know how to use commas.

Renee said...

(I'm aware of her other glaring mistakes. I just think comma is a funny word)

witticism here said...

My favorite part is how she spells English as "Enlish". I am so tempted to email her back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...