Thank you so much for posting this and advising me to listen. This is incredible! I am so sad and angry that the Bible and other books of scripture have been used to smash gay rights in the twisted name of their religion. I read today that a man and a woman are immediately granted 300 rights in Arizona once they are married. To deny all people who love each other these same rights is unconscionable, arrogant and cruel!!
Still, I'd be shocked if this changed anyone's mind. Unfortunately, I think he is preaching to the choir.
I don't remember who proposed it, but I think it'd be great to just altogether wipe the word Marriage out of the law books. If the people have said, "No, you can't use my word, it's got religious meaning to me" then it has no place in government. Separation of church and state, right? From now on, we all get civil unions. That's what it's going to be called, for gay, straight, whoever.
Then we'll see how quickly we get laws passed that say civil unions get all the rights afforded to them.
If we're going to play semantics, we're going to have to play it right.
It is sad that the only people who appreciate this commentary are the ones who already agree gay marriage is a must....He is so right when he says "what is it to you...what is it taking from you?" It's nothing to me, I lose nothing, I gain nothing, so why should it be my business to deny it to someone else.
I love Keith Olbermann. There's no way this special comment would have aired on Fox News. Unfortunately it's true, he's preachin' to the choir with this.
I'm sick of hearing, "well, you don't know that Prop 8/102 is REALLY about, blah, blah, blah." Yes, I am informed and I STILL think it's atrocious that people put so much energy and money towards oppressing another person's sexual orientation aka civil right. It's a cryin' shame.
5 comments:
Thank you so much for posting this and advising me to listen. This is incredible! I am so sad and angry that the Bible and other books of scripture have been used to smash gay rights in the twisted name of their religion. I read today that a man and a woman are immediately granted 300 rights in Arizona once they are married. To deny all people who love each other these same rights is unconscionable, arrogant and cruel!!
Well put, KO.
Still, I'd be shocked if this changed anyone's mind. Unfortunately, I think he is preaching to the choir.
I don't remember who proposed it, but I think it'd be great to just altogether wipe the word Marriage out of the law books. If the people have said, "No, you can't use my word, it's got religious meaning to me" then it has no place in government. Separation of church and state, right? From now on, we all get civil unions. That's what it's going to be called, for gay, straight, whoever.
Then we'll see how quickly we get laws passed that say civil unions get all the rights afforded to them.
If we're going to play semantics, we're going to have to play it right.
It is sad that the only people who appreciate this commentary are the ones who already agree gay marriage is a must....He is so right when he says "what is it to you...what is it taking from you?" It's nothing to me, I lose nothing, I gain nothing, so why should it be my business to deny it to someone else.
WORD!
I love Keith Olbermann. There's no way this special comment would have aired on Fox News. Unfortunately it's true, he's preachin' to the choir with this.
I'm sick of hearing, "well, you don't know that Prop 8/102 is REALLY about, blah, blah, blah." Yes, I am informed and I STILL think it's atrocious that people put so much energy and money towards oppressing another person's sexual orientation aka civil right. It's a cryin' shame.
Post a Comment