B didn't waste anytime hitting the terrible twos.
This past week he rose bright and early between 4-5am. Despite my alarm clocks best efforts, I rise around 6am. B trumps any alarm clock and this week I found myself fighting with him to go back to bed or at least play quietly while I struggled with 15 minutes of delicious sleep. It didn't work very well and I was consumed with resentment when my alarm would sound and I had already been up for over an hour. My students, husband, and bad drivers can attest to the resulting grumpy disposition. B, on the other hand, has been a gem for everyone (else). Just ask his lovely sitter, who provided glowing daily reports and a doubtful tone when I related how whiny he is when he gets home. Maybe he is picking it up from me?
We have tried putting him to bed later. His bedtime (don't hurt me) is usually 6-6:30pm, but we have been pushing it to 8pm hoping he will sleep until his previous rising time, around 6am. Not working, still up before the sun. Furthermore, with the later bedtime he gets pissy that he has to go to bed, which didn't use to be such a problem.
The 6am-6pm sleepy-time was nice while it lasted, but it appears our luck has run out. I can't tell you how much this saddens me, especially with summer vacation mercifully just around the corner. Any suggestions how to get B on a better schedule? When I say better, I mean, I need some effing sleep and I am about to dose my kid with Benadryl to get it.
7 comments:
I feel your pain Keiko. S is doing the same thing, although he's getting up at around 5:15. We've tried messing with his nap schedule/ putting him down later with no results until last night. Today he woke up at 6:30 after having a later bedtime. I think maybe you need to give them a few days to let their body adjust to a new schedule. Then again maybe it was just a fluke. We'll see tomorrow. I remember my other kids doing the same thing and I don't remember doing anything special to help it. Eventually they just grew out of it.
Harrison wakes up too early too. I've started reducing his naptime. That worked with Lennon, and I'm crossing my fingers it works with him too. good luck.
Ugh. I think it's harder now that it gets light out earlier. Try painting his windows black and telling him it's still the middle of the night!
this still sounds backwards to me but we were told that putting him to bed earlier will often result in later wake time...it worked for connor. he's in bed by 7:15 and up around 6:30.
who knows...they're all so different. good luck. hope you find what works.
Um, don't shoot me, but Pip goes to bed at 8:30 PM and gets up around 8-9 AM and always has. BUUUUT, when DST hits or we travel, her sleep habits get wonky; after a couple of days she adjusts, so maybe he just needs some extra time???
So sorry you're sleep deprived.
Love the new blog layout.
Good news...B is back to his old schedule. I think he wasn't feeling well, hence the bitchiness. Thank the lord.
Post a Comment