Thursday, June 18, 2009

Daddy-poo

One of my very first blogs was about my dad. He is pretty no fuss, no frills with an occasional dramatic stubborn streak. I think he is pretty Japanese, and my cousin who is actually from the homeland confirms this--I think her exact words were "old school." On Wednesday the 17th he celebrated a birthday--at this point it freaks me out that my parents are over 60, so I just assume stop counting at 60.

Here are 17 things you might now know about my dad:

1. He is one of nine kids--buried somewhere in the middle of the heap.
2. He was the first kiddo born out of the internment camps during WWII.
3. As a teenager he was in a serious motorcycle accident and was thought to be dead. Surprise!
4. He was a hippie. Seriously.
5. His pick up line to my mom was, "Have you got your shots?" They both taught special ed.
6. He used to smoke cigarettes, then moved to a pipe, and finally gave smoking altogether. I miss the smell of his pipe tobacco.
7. He was the principal of my elementary school. This tortured my youth in so many ways. Though, this made me "2nd in command"--right, Erin?
8. To piggyback on #7--I was sent to the principal's office twice in elementary school. The second time I went he cussed me out. I don't think that is very professional. (My dad using foul language is an epic event resulting in wet pants.)
9. His feet are very ticklish.
10. He would be wearing socks with sandals and other tacky fashions if my mom and I didn't say anything.
11. Apparently a lot of my friends growing up were afraid of him. (Jeff included.)
12. He never let us spend holiday/birthday money or play with our toys until we wrote thank you cards.
13. My dad is a slut for stupid action movies. For example, GI Joe will be a hit in Mesa, Arizona theaters because my dad will go at least twice.
14. The movie Sophie's Choice was too intense for him, at one point he had to take off his glasses.
15. Dad is seriously blind. We used to poke fun of his thick glasses, saying we could see the Hubble. I have incredibly poor sight now. Karma.
16. My dad doesn't do well with teenagers, he would hide out when my friends came over. He didn't like me much, the feeling was mutual. We eventually grew up and share a mutual passion of mocking my mother.
17. Whenever Bradley goes to my parent's house my dad bakes him banana bread.








5 comments:

Valerie said...

What a beautiful man. Your tribute reminds us that the largeness of a person lies in the smallness - those details that endear them, whether now or later in life; that we can find the true essence by examining and appreciating those stunning "littles" of life.

Happy Father's Day, Keiko's dad!

Katy said...

This is so great!

Luann said...

You got sent to your dad's office? Wow, that's like double punishment. I just remember being scared of your dad in elementary school. But then I was scared of most authority figures.

witticism here said...

I was sent to his office in kindegarten for getting my light turned to double red. Then in second grade for burying, then losing my shoes in the sand...it was a game my friends and I were playing.

mrsmouthy said...

That's very sweet. I can't IMAGINE having a parent for a principal though!! I had my mom for a substitute teacher one day and nearly died!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...