Monday, June 21, 2010

Theater Appreciation, day four

You know when books are turned to movies and they pretty much suck? Yeah, the same thing happens to plays. But it can also go the other way, movies can be turned in to plays. In my experience, that latter is more successful, like Lion King or Beauty and the Beast.

There are plays turned into movies that are awesome, like Hairspray or Evita. Also, I happen to think Chicago is better in movie form than stage. But I think these are rare exceptions.

My proof...
A Chorus Line- This should be good because Michael Douglas plays Zach, the director. I don't know about you, but Mr. Douglas plays the best brooding, DB guy that I know I should hate but I don't. That pretty much sums up the character of Zach, I mean he is the micromanaging director who messes with these sweet little actors who just want a small piddly part in the background. Anyway, they change enough in this movie to make me want to stab the director (who just so happens to be Richard Attenborough, who one would think not eff with good theater).


Rent- A great play that awkwardly makes it to film. It wasn't as horrible as A Chorus Line, but if you want to observe the difference between stage and screen actors, take a look at this movie. At times the actors seem wooden and awkward. When you perform on stage it isn't necessary for all the small stuff to convey--a special twinkle in the eye, etc.


Mama Mia- I love Meryl Streep but I would not have cried if she fell off the cliff in this movie. This play is so original (despite the fact they use ABBA songs), fun, and interesting on stage. This play really pumps the audience up, the movie does not. It is awkward and phony (yeahyeah, I know not everyone goes around singing ABBA songs...but you have no idea what you are missing).


Phantom of the Opera- Again, not a horrible tragedy in translation, but there is a lot lacking in the movie. First of all, sitting and watching a play that is set in an opera house while in a theater lends a bit of authenticity and feels natural. Watching on screen does not. Second, and most of all, the music loses its power on screen. The music is the best part of Phantom and some of those songs need to be performed live at 110%. Props to the writer and director staying true to the original plot, though.


Fame- Rule number one: shitty plays do not a great movie make.


Sweeney Todd- This isn't one of my favorite plays, and I was actually intrigued at the idea of Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, and Helena Bonham Carter doing a movie version. In fact, I was downright excited. But alas, Johnny Depp can't really sing and it started my downontimburton phase (seriously, is he a one-trick pony?).

Okay...I think I beat a dead horse on this one. Thanks for your attention while I nerded out on theater.

5 comments:

Renee said...

You're not done are you? Don't be done.

Couple of things about your posts: 1. skipraid.com wrote something funny about Cats. I thought of Cassandra, but now I'll also think of you.

2. I loved Les Miserables. There might be something wrong with me.

3. No love for Grease? Xanadu? Other ONJ Hits? She's magic.

4. Musicals involving naked people: I want more.


Thanks for an entertaining week of posts!

Luann said...

I loved these posts. I've wanted to see more plays, but just never know which ones to see. I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for the ones you've recommended. I've only seen Les Mis and Phantom. What about Wicked? That seems to be the popular one these days. Having read the book, I'm pretty sure the play is quite different. I'm curious to see what they've done with it.

witticism here said...

Luann, I LOVE the book. I saw the show and it was great and all, but the book...THE BOOK. I do really like the music in the play and some of the characters are really memorable.

Cassandra said...

These are awesome! One day, I'll have a list like yours!

On a side note, I totally disliked the Phantom movie. So much better live. I think I bawled at the beginning when the chandelier swings up to the ceiling. I'm a dork.

Cassandra said...

Wait! I forgot to tell you how much I hated the movie Mamma Mia! Haven't seen the play yet (what? you live less than 2 hours away from Vegas and haven't seen it yet?), but Meryl did not do it for me. Yikes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...