Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Xavier ----> Goldie

I'm not sure if I ever really had a cool card, but I definitely turned it in last night when I gave up my Matrix for a Sienna.

It was heartbreaking, really. My Xavier (his name) was my first new car. The minute I sat in him it was akin to finding my wedding dress; I knew he was my car. An epic battle ensued between the salesman and me when I bought him . I worked hard and furious, but I got my way and a sweet little car that not only protected me when a Ford F250 tried to take me down, but everyday made sure my childrens were safe and sound going from point A to point B.

He looked like this...
except he was African-American.


Something funny about babies and toddlers--they eff your shiz up. Lately, B has loved opening the door all.the.way at record speed. Who cares if there is a vehicle parked next to us? Not him. And I need at least three feet between me and the neighboring car to get Cash's car seat inside.

The last straw was the fantastic storage in the hatchback became a massive black hole of space to cool down, which meant a lot less cool air for my menchildrens. It was pathetic the soggy mess Cash became and I tired very quickly of B's incessant, "I sweaty, Momma!"

I talked to Jeff about it and I got The Look. No dice. So I do what I do:  I talked about it non-stop to him and everyone else (just in case he talks to them). Only getting my way would shut me up. Really, this goes for other things other than vehicles. In fact, I am thinking about using it right now in order to get me a Sonic Slush.

Finally...he budged. Really, that was all I needed. And we were off to look at minivans. Since I represent, we only considered Honda and Toyota.

The thing that made me want a minivan the most...in fact, on a pie chart it would be like 90% of the pie (that's a Keiko slice) was sliding doors. Can't beat that. And when we started test driving, AC vents, third row seating, and power sliding doors quickly took up the remaining 10%.

We narrowed in on a Sienna. We are Toyota people BIG TIME. We checked out new vehicles, but I really like Bradley so I wasn't looking to have to get rid of him. We ended up getting a pre-owned 2009 Sienna LE, which we got for 1/3 less than the new ones. Nice. Even better, no car salesmen were hurt in the purchase of this vehicle, unlike the last two who crossed my path for Xavier and Jeff's Tacoma*.

So, here she is. I have dubbed her Goldie.

Goldie + Keiko= TLA (or until I trade her in)
For authenticity I should have had B clinging at my leg screaming something about a snack, Cash hanging off my hip, my purse and diaper bag hanging off my arm, and B's sippy cup and blanket in the other.

To those of you whispering, "I told you so..." I knowww. For those of you whispering, "Sell out..." I knowww. For those of you whispering, "Jealous...." I knowww. For those of you whispering, "Never..." Just wait. Trust me, if it can happen to me, it can happen to you.

* Don't ever take Jeff car shopping with you unless he has vowed total and utter silence. When we finally tracked down his black Tacoma, he screamed from across the lot, "I found my truck!" It was like beating zombies off rotting meat with a stick from that moment on.

7 comments:

Luann said...

Welcome to the club. You just can't beat them power sliding doors.

Cassandra said...

I think you still have your cool card, Keiko. Goldie is awesome and so are those power sliding doors.

Valerie said...

I was truly depressed the day I got a STATION WAGON! I remember telling my class, "I feel like the cliche 'three kids, a dog, and a station wagon.'" But that's what I was. So when I upgraded to a minivan, I thought I was at least a cool mom of three. I think your new wheels look dreamy for your life-phase.

And...the days of a two-door coupe are coming faster than you think. Enjoy Gorgeous Goldie.

jules said...

I've started dropping hints to Nick that when we have another kid we will need a bigger vehicle. I'm not sure he or I have figured out that means we will need a minivan round about the time I finally pay off my car.

The Wizzle said...

Dude, I frickin' LOVE my minivan. I love it. AC vents directly over each child's head, that they can point directly at themselves? Sliding doors? A damn hallway down the middle of my car so everyone can march to the back like little ants, without assistance? Yes please.

Anonymous said...

you did it! i know we talked about this a couple weeks ago but i can't believe you did it. i totally admit that I find the sienna commericals/videos hilarious, super hilarious actually. :) hope you love it, i'm sure you do!

african american car. love it.

menchildren? hilar.

Katy said...

I remember your dad's toyota minivan when we were kids. He's passing on the toyota torch! I'm still in the "I'll never" camp, but you know...we only have cats, soooo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...