The evening started off with sushi at RA.
We continued on to the US Airways Arena and took pictures in front of her tour buses, which she proudly displayed instead of hiding them behind guards and orange cones. In fact, a very willing security guard took our picture.
The people watching was the best. People of all ages were dressed up: little kids came with wigs and make-up tottled behind their parents, but one of my favorites was the 80 year-old man making his first (platform, heeled) steps in to cross dressing.
I loved the open and free vibe. It reminded me of Pride--couples felt free enough to hold hands and just be themselves. I love when people feel comfortable enough to NGAF what others think.
We met up with friends!
Erin, Erin, Stephanie and me showing our monster claws.
My darling, Brendon, a former student. (Not pictured is his adorable and charming boyfriend, Cody.)
We also made new friends. Hellloooo, Officer Maloney (AKA Officer MaHottie). I think people were taking as many pictures with him as they were the little boy in a thong and drag.
At this point in time--twenty minutes before the opening act took the stage--I was having a ball. I wish I took more pictures of all of the costumes and make-up. Seriously, people were wearing creations that took months to create. Too bad I couldn't honor them all here.
Erin got this kick ass Gaga shirt.
We got to our seats and watched the opening act, The Scissor Sisters.
I can't wait to get their music from iTunes. Watching them was like getting in a time machine and heading back to the 80s. Loved it!
Only one (incredible) opening act and then it was time for the show!
I really don't think I can form complete sentences on the next two hours. I will have to use bulleted points:
- At least 8 costume changes
- Half the time she participated in intense choreographed, calorie-busting dance numbers
- Thousands of dollars raised for a charity against bullying
- Absolutely no lipsyncing
- Amazing vocals and stellar artistic show on the piano
- The sets (there were at least six of them) rivaled any musical I have seen (PS- I love the allusions to Broadway shows, like Cabaret)
- Fan appreciation like I have never seen: graciously accepting gifts, making dates for drinks, admitting her unworthiness of playing an arena after only TWO albums
- This was a SHOW! Complete story line, etc.
(Images from Flickr)
Overall, this was certainly that best show I have ever been to. Without a doubt. Not that I am a concert junkie or anything, but I have seen some amazing showmen and productions in my day.
A very powerful part of the evening was the variety of people that Lady Gaga attracts with her talent. Young and old. Gay and straight. Parents and kids. Costumed and non-costumed. Rich and poor. There were so many different people at the show and I don't think anyone (except maybe the guy selling beer) felt out of placed or shocked by the displays of individualism.
Whether you are a fan or not, the power of Gaga cannot be denied. And I think anyone who encourages others, in earnest, to be comfortable with themselves and ignore the title of too ___________ (weird, ugly, normal, fat, gay) is certainly a person of worth.














2 comments:
I have to admit that I although I think she is way weird, her music is pretty catchy.
Sounds like you had a blast!!
mrs. dilbeck!!! i didn't know you had a blog! well, multiple, i didn't really know which one to comment on until i saw this post. LOVE IT! here's the one i posted from this day. i'm still so happy i saw you there!
http://brittanylewwhoo.blogspot.com/2011/03/we-were-born-this-way-baby.html#comments
Post a Comment