Wednesday, July 27, 2011

San Diego: FOOD!

We ate like rockstars on this trip.

On our way into town we bypassed El Centro for lunch since the boys were sleeping. Two minutes out of town they woke up ravenous. No snacks would satisfy them and we were scared when we realized there is nothing between El Centro and San Diego. Desperately we stopped in Alpine, looking for something. We were so desperate we hit a Mexican food drive-thru attached to a Valero station. Seriously, right? It's like we were jonesing for food poisoning.

Amazingly enough, we learned sometimes amazing things come in shitty packages. The place we ended up finding was a diamond in the rough: Diego's Taco Shop. Jeff got a Ranchero Carne Asada burrito, I got rolled tacos with guacamole, and the boys a cheese enchilada. Evvverythhing was delicious. Jeff and I wanted to kidnap the abuelita we were sure was cooking in back.


Like pigs, we hit Diego's Taca Shop on the way OUT of town, too. Seriously, if you are on your way to San Diego and do not eat at this place, I have failed you.

The first night we ate at Corvette Diner, thanks to the bestie's recommendation. This place was fun for the boys since there was a lot to see and loud oldies music that covered any screeching on Cash's part or the endless questions from B. Also, there is an arcade attached, so B was able to work off his meal. Topping it off, the food was pretty good, too.

Posters on the ceiling: endless fun

For lunch the next day we got some Japanese food. I love being in a state where the fish is fresh and the word bento is not met with confused stares. We got udon, a couple orders of rolls, a teriyaki bento, and miso soup. Nomnomnom.



That night for dinner we ordered pizza from Luigi's (Yelp says it's the best) and took it to the beach for a picnic. I have never actually seen B's head explode with excitement, but this was the closest it has come to actually happening.

By far, this was one of my favorite memories of the trip and I didn't even plan it that way!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...