The family, that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape, nor in our innermost hearts never quite wish to. -Dodie Smith
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Fresh, local, and organic...
I read an article recently (sorry, don't remember where so I can't link) about organic buying clubs. I am not hard-up for organic stuff mainly because of price, but I love a deal, trying new recipes, and supporting local endeavors. I stumbled across a buying club at the Superstition Farm, which is just around the corner of my house. Basically, you buy into a club with a one-time fee and then pay for each basket you get. At Superstition, you can buy a half-basket for $35 (a full is $65-70) every other Saturday. If you consider what you pay for fruits and veggies every two weeks at the grocery store, you could easily break even. Add to that the whole organic thing and supporting local industries... If you aren't local, you can always Google organic buying clubs.
We haven't tried it yet. The last pick-up was yesterday, so we are looking to start in a couple weeks. The cons are that you don't get to pick your produce, but I like that it will make me look for recipes for different items and try new things. Plus, I think it will force us to eat more produce since it is so fresh and abundant.
One more cool thing about this farm is that they do tours for kiddos. Just another way to have some fun on a Saturday morning with fresh ice cream, too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
This is great. We were part of a co-op in AZ called whole earth. We got a big canvas bag of random veggies and it really did force us to try new things. It was kind of fun not knowing what you were going to get.
I started in on a co-op about this time three years ago. We ended up paying $20 for a basket of squash, zucchini, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, and indian corn. I thought it was a smoking deal, but since my husband hates all of those things with an intense passion, we ended up giving up on it. I wish I had stuck with it. I'll send you a Facebook message asking for more information if I can get Eric to give it another shot.
I really want to try one of those too. I will have to google it to find one up here.
Post a Comment