Sunday, July 4, 2010

Being patriotic

In celebration of our Independence Day and the rights granted to us by our country, I'd like to take a second to ask a question related to the upcoming election in Arizona. It's a pretty important that I am a bit partial to.

Okay, here I go...

Shouldn't the person who is running for Superintendent of Public Instruction have some background knowledge with public schools?

I'm just sayin'. Our track record here in AZ is not so bueno with our SPI. Tom Horne is a lawyer. Lisa Graham Keegan was the devil. None of them were a classroom teacher, administrator, etc.

Here are the candidates so far...
  1. Margaret Dugan (R)- State Deputy Superintendent of Schools, Educator & "English-Only" Activist
  2. John Huppenthal (R)- State Sen., Ex-State Rep. & Ex-Chandler City Councilman
  3. Gary Nine (R)- Florence Unified School District Superintendent
  4. Mary Lou Taylor (R)- Tempe Union High School District Board President
  5. Penny Kotterman (D)- Ex-State Teachers Union President & Teacher
  6. Jason Williams (D)-Teacher & Ex-Non Profit Group Executive Director
Which one of these things is not like the other? (hint: 2) But if you look even closer, you will see that Dugan currently works under Tom Horne, Taylor is on the school board, and Williams worked for Teach for America (and he advocates for teacher certification process change and thinks anyone can teach).

So it's between Nine and Kotterman. I have to do more research. See Cam, I don't vote party lines.

On a side note, my boyfriend is running for office again. I've seen his signs about town, they are my favorite color green. Nothing says, "Everyone else has blue or red posters, I want to be different" than that move right there. Well played, Rich.

PS- I am still waiting for our date.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...