Major accomplishments in the Dilbeck home this week. I finished my many projects, completed B's room, found my camera and my wedding ring. I need to slow down or I will die from heat stroke.
I redid Bradley's room for the millionth time. I didn't go nuts and paint walls or spend a lot of money. In fact, I used a lot of what he already had. Then, I looked around the Internet for inspiration pictures and DIY projects. Then I went to Craigslist for cheap furniture and IKEA for textiles (can we say a twin flat or fitted sheet for $1.50????).
It really bugs me that for all the ideas I have for my boy's room, I can't think of anything for my own. Someday I will have to post pictures and beg for inspirational help.
While I was in Kansas I went to some thrift stores and garage sales. I'd like to tell you that my metropolis has nothing on that little town. There were some serious finds: two big ol' lamps for a buck, a vintage Kansas license plate for a fiddy-cent, never been read Dr. Seuss books for one dolla, and three mule feed backs for a buck a piece. Those Dr. Seuss books saved my ass coming home because B's attention span is that of, um...a three year old.
Let me show you what I did with the rest.
The lamp.
Holy hell, these things are a monstrosity. The lamp alone is like four of me and I could hula with the shade. When we got home the shades fell apart so I went to look for new ones, but I couldn't find any big enough. Even WalMart didn't have them and my motto is: If WalMart doesn't have it, then China didn't make it, so it doesn't exist. Right? I ended up getting a specialty glue that was guaranteed to glue the shade back together again and kill a boat load of my brain cells.
Then the fun began. Remember those mule feed bags? I wanted to use them to recover the lamp shade. I was sure that three bags would cover two shades easy peasy. Not really. I told you those suckers were huge. To be exact 18" tall and 47.5" in diameter. I had to cut up two bags to make the shade cover work.
After pinning and adjusting I used my new favorite product ever: Tacky spray glue. Man that stuff makes me happy, and not just because the fumes are out of control.
I thought about putting some ribbon along the top and bottom to pull in other colors from the room, but I liked how it looked rough and a little unfinished.
The actual lamp needed to be repainted, since it was adorned with 70s fab oranges, browns, and gold. I was going to use a paint color we already had in the house, but it had gone bad, so I went to Lowes and hit up the oops paint. I love that area of the paint aisle. I picked up a dark, dusky blue for fifty cents. I was lucky because it matched the feed bags and it was only a few shades darker than the beds (I'll talk about the furniture later).
When all was said and done I had an entire sack left over; it will go in my box o' shit with the hopes I can used it again someday. I also had some scraps left over, so I ripped eight equal strips, hemmed one edge and roughly finished the other (nothing here is super fancy as I am well aware that this is a room for boys and I can't get too attached with anything since it will be the first casualty). If you peek at the pic above you will see what I did with them.
Some curtains I picked up at Tuesday Mornings for $6 needed a little something. Originally I thought about getting tie-up curtains, but at $30-some dollars a pop, no thanks.
I am not a matchy-matchy kind of person--I like funky eclectic--but I do appreciate a bit of a tie in. I hemmed one side because my plan was to just use a safety pin to attach the home-made ties and hide the pin in the folded hem, but I couldn't find pins in my house. So, I had to sew them on.
As you can see, those feed bags and lamps kept me busy. I will show you later today what the rest of the room looks like.






4 comments:
What a great lamp. Keiko, you're genius.
Cool job with the lamp! I was just talking to someone yesterday in Target (totally random person started talking to me for no apparent reason) about how thrift stores are so much better back east. Kansas is east of here so I think it counts.
When Nick was doing construction back in NY he worked on a Tuesday Morning. I haven't been for a while - thanks for the reminder it exists!
See, that's what I need! I have the lamp rehab thing down to a science, and could light my entire house for less than $50 from Goodwill, but I need to know how to dress up ugly shades. Because I am a) bored with, and b) tired of paying for, lampshades from Target. But Goodwill shades are uuuuuuugly. You are a genius!
P.S. I'm cheating and commenting on two posts at once, but I love the whole room! I have the same thing working in my girls' room (two different beds painted the same color) and I love it!
Love the lamp, LOVE the USSR globe, and I love Bradley's ability to reason. You've done well w him, Mama.
Post a Comment